Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Review: Sucker Punch

First off, Let me answer some questions about this movie.

1. Does it have robot samurais? Yes.

2. Do these robot samurais wield swords, guns, or bazookas? All of the above.

3. Are there any zombies in this movie? If so, which regime do they align themselves with? Yes, and the Nazi regime.

4. Is this enough to make me want to see this movie? Should be!

Wow, I honestly have never been so amazed while watching a movie. I was amazed at the ridiculous action sequences (take the things mentioned above, and add a girl with a samurai sword and a gun fighting them, and that doesn't even explain half of them). I was amazed that any production company was okay with making this into a movie because how amazingly ridiculous of an idea it is. In short, I was amazed. Now does that make it a good movie? I feel like I generally have a good taste in movies, but this one splits my heart right down the middle... yes, by a samurai sword.

Okay, so this is the first movie actually written and directed by Zack Snyder. Zack Snyder directed 300 and Watchmen. Both of these movies are beyond pleasing to the eyes, he has a way of making things look cool, especially action. Slow motion is used as much as possible here to create many, many "WOW" moments. Where Zack Snyder movies tend to struggle is in the storytelling. With 300 and Watchmen, Zack already had two really good stories to work with and even then they felt a little hollow. With Zack writing and then trying to tell Sucker Punch, it leaves a lot to be desired. The story is basically of a girl who gets wrongfully put into an insane asylum, and in order to deal with the terrible things happening to her - her brain goes into these alternate, video game-esque, realities. These realities create a reason to see this movie, I promise you have never seen anything on screen like this.

Okay, so the final verdict - this movie is amazingly stylish, action packed, and jaw droppingly cool when it comes to the action. Everything else (story, acting, purpose) leaves you feeling a little empty - apart from a particularly moving opening scene which features a dark, new version of the song "Sweet Dreams" (which is really cool). The good thing is that most of the movie is the action so you don't have to endure a whole lot of dialogue or bad acting. I can promise you will come away from Sucker Punch feeling that you just saw something completely unique. I can't really promise that you will enjoy it as much as I did. Video game and action fans should see this movie.

Oh, one last question.

Does this movie feature a really emo/depressing version of the Pixies' song, "Where Is My Mind?"

Oh yes.

Makin Movie Blog Grade

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the review man, imma go see it as soon as i can!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So...action, boobs, no real story line. Just what I suspected. Awesome. I'll go see "Limitless" again.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha. Like I said, not for everyone. It's hard for me imagine any girl liking this movie..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I understand what you mean. Unless she's one of those girls who says she likes movies like these so guys will like her. But have you SEEN Limitless?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did! It was fun. Are you obsessed with it??

    ReplyDelete