Thursday, March 31, 2011

Review: Never Say Never

I've always appreciated Justin Bieber, I wasn't really sure why until I saw this movie. When you don't know a lot about Justin, you have to choose which side you're on and believe it or not, there are a lot of Bieber haters out there. I chose the opposite side but I wasn't enough of a fanatic to go see this movie opening night.. in fact, I waited until this was in the cheap theaters to see it. And now that I have seen it, I kind of wish I hadn't have waited. I may have caught a little bit of Bieber Black Lung.. or is it fever?

Never Say Never follows the story of Justin Bieber from his humble roots in Canada to his recent super super stardom; which is intertwined with his sold out MSG performance. First of all, let's get something straight, Bieber is incredibly talented. I feel okay with using the word prodigy to describe him. Home videos on this movie show Justin jamming out on drums when he was 8 and keeping beats much younger than that. He can sing, dance, play piano, play guitar and more. He deserves his stardom. And coolest thing about learning all this, it screams a giant "EFF YOU!" to Disney and Nickelodeon stars; Justin doesn't need Disney or Nickelodeon to get famous, he did it on his own - even if he had to work his butt off to get there. Way to stick it to the man.

The documentary is well shot and seeing Bieber fans cry over him never gets old. The most interesting part of the show is seeing Justin struggle with being a teenager and his crazy crazy lifestyle. I wish the movie would have explored this idea a little bit more, but it really shines when it does. This isn't a movie just for crazy fans, it is a very inspiring story and if you walk out of the theatre not appreciating JB, there is something wrong with you. It's refreshing to see him behind the scenes as kind of a punk-kid-teen as we were all punk teeners at one point. He has something special going on here and I hope that he is able to stay stable in the future and not pull a Charlie Sheen. I don't think he will, but his career will be interesting to follow because for now, he is a bright star with an inspiring story that works well as a documentary.

This blog will probably not get too popular but... Never Say Never.

Makin Movie Blog Grade

2 comments:

  1. Really, Jordan? Hmm...from the review...no, I'm not letting that idea enter my head. No, nononononononono. Okay, I might have to go see it. You've been really right about all the movies so far.... a B+ eh? Hmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bieber Fever baby! I love it so much. That movie deserves at least a B+ good review my man!

    ReplyDelete