Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Review: Something Borrowed

We 'R' Bess Frenz
I don't hate chick flicks. I like all genres of movies as long as they are well done. You've Got Mail, Return to Me, and Legally Blonde are all very charming. If you stretch and say Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind is a chick flick and then you can say one of my all time favorite movies is a chick flick. Something Borrowed seemed like a pretty good premise for a chick flick. Kate Hudson and Ginnifer Goodwin are generally enjoyable. Throw in John Krasinski, everyone's favorite rational guy from the office, and this show could be pretty good, right? Let's just say something borrowed my desire for life after viewing this movie. Luckily, I got it back this morning and I've motivated myself to write about this terrible, terrible movie.

Kate Hudson plays Darcy, and unimaginably unlikable party girl. She's a jerk. Darcy is about to get married to Dex, but drama ensues when her best friend Rachel (Ginnifer Goodwin) admits to her fiance that she had a crush on him back in law school. Crazy enough, Dex (Colin Egglesfield) had a crush on her but they were too afraid to tell each other. Now Dex is confused and torn. He starts to date Rachel behind Darcy's back. Krasinski plays Ethan, who is friends with Rachel and just along for the ride. His character is much like a more angry version of Jim from The Office that yells a lot more. He's definitely not as likable as that character, but it still makes him the most rational and likable person in the movie.

You never really understand why these people are friends or why they would even like each other. They are all so self serving and stupid. None of them make any rational decisions throughout this entire movie. I don't think whoever wrote this movie understands real life. The romance between Goodwin and Egglesfield is so painful to watch; awkward, unnecessary, and unnatural. She seems much more natural as a polygamist wife in HBO's Big Love.

Please don't see this movie. Any part that made me smile was in the previews. It hurts to watch this movie. Imagine watching people you hate try and get what they want for 2 hours. Here comes the closing statement: Worst Movie I Have Seen This Year.

Makin Movie Blog Grade

6 comments:

  1. I am waiting for you to review Prom. Yes, I am 23 years old. Yes, I know it is a Disney movie. Yes, I actually DO want to see it, if it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed Nik. And sarah, I will probably see it when it comes to the cheap theatre in PG. I will let you know how it is ;) haha. I'm even more embarrassed to admit there is a tiny part of me that thought the preview for it looked funny.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We watched both I'm still her and Beware! Children at play, and I still don't doubt that this is still the worst movie you've seen this year

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bryan, I lost more of my soul watching this than I did watching 35 kids get brutally murdered at the end of "Beware! Children at Play"

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree WHOLE HEARTEDLY with this post, Jordan. That movie made me lose respect for Ginnifer Goodwin, and Kate Hudson... Two actresses who I really adored before seeing this.. And the best part of this film was the Harry Potter trailer. Only 8 more weeks.

    ReplyDelete