Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Review: Just Go With It

Adam Sandler, you raised me. As a child and early teenager, I watched and loved your movies such as Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, and especially, The Wedding Singer. As I've gotten older, I have enjoyed your more serious roles: Spanglish, Reign Over Me, and Funny People. Even though it doesn't make as much money, you should stick to the serious roles, please. Because recently I've had to endure the likes of I Now Pronounce You Chuck & Larry, You Don't Mess with the Zohan, and Grown Ups.

Adam, c'mon man. Those were painful.

Now we have the most recent, Just Go With It. "From the producers of Grown Ups" (please, never ever use that line to promote your movie). Adam plays Danny, a plastic surgeon who tricks women into sleeping with him by pretending he has a wife that is mean to him. One day, he finds a girl that he actually likes and she finds his fake wedding ring. So of course, he now has to enlist the help of his secretary, Katherine (Jennifer Aniston) to be his fake-wife that he is getting a divorce with to convince his new girlfriend that he actually was married... It's just as ridiculous as it sounds. It's actually pretty twisted in its own way, but you kind of have to "just go with it".

This movie is not nearly as bad as Grown Ups. Not even close. The characters are actually likable. Jennifer Aniston is especially likable and she keeps the movie as grounded as she can. She's a refreshing character to have in one of these Adam Sandler movies. There are a lot of laughs. Some really good laughs come from a variety of children in this movie, namely Danny's two fake children, but also some other kids they come across on their little journey of deceit. Of course, some jokes are painful and not funny, but there's enough laughs to keep you watching. Also, a couple of big name cameos will really surprise you (I won't ruin it for you).

Okay, so it's not terrible, but it's definitely not great. I would have appreciated it being about 30 minutes shorter, but you can have some fun with it if you... just go with it. (joke so nice, I used it twice)

Makin Movie Blog Grade

4 comments:

  1. This movie was one of the worst things that ever happened to me. "Painful" is right, those jokes made me cringe. Jen was definitely the only thing that got me through.

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha. Definitely not as bad as grown up, though. Right?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't bother seeing Grown Ups haha. I'm way too poor and opinionated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. good call. It was on Netflix streaming or else I wouldn't have bothered either.

    ReplyDelete