Saturday, March 19, 2011

Review: The Lincoln Lawyer


I love myself a good courtroom drama. When I was in elementary school, I'd be anxious for every Sunday night to watch the latest episode of The Practice with my mom. I dont know what it is, maybe I just have a hankering for justice. Since that show ended, I haven't found a courtroom drama (movie or TV show) that captured my enthusiasm the same way since. That is until, last night, I saw The Lincoln Lawyer.


This is possibly the best I have ever seen Matthew McConaughey. He plays the bad-A, quick witted, defense attorney - Mick Haller, who finds himself defending a playboy, Lous Roulet (Ryan Phillipe), who is accused of beating up and trying to rape a prostitute. Mick believes that he innocent at the beginning, until he comes across interesting evidence that links him to another murder. Mick finds himself at a moral crossroad between doing his job and bringing someone to justice. It gets intense when Roulet finds out what Mick has been learning...

The movie's high points are scenes when McConaughey is getting into it. The courtroom scenes are wonderful with some really thrilling performances. William Macey has a very small but likable role in this movie as well. The plot is exciting but McConaughey is the reason to see this movie (he even has his expected shirtless scene). There is one twist at the very end which is kind of silly, but it doesn't hurt the movie too much. (It's at least more plausible than Ghosts of Girlfriends Past).

Makin Movie Blog Grade



2 comments:

  1. I demand a recount (sort of). So, I totally agree with the excitement levels rising when Louis knows that Mick knows. But, honestly. Doesn't it get any brownie points for the fact that Mick does his job-quite well for the circumstances-to get the right outcome for Louis's case...I guess you COULD give it a B just because the plot twist is SO easy to see from a mile away. But I would go so far to say that it at least warrants a B+.

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha I really did almost give it a B+. I just really wish the mom didn't get involved at the end, that was my least favorite part.

    and yes, I agree that Mick doing his job in that situation is really cool. I love the courtroom scenes!

    ReplyDelete